- Use this family meeting time to discuss things positively, honestly, and age-appropriately! Even younger kids can understand that the family is going to be careful spending money, and that everyone in the family can be a helper with this! Be sure not to worry your kids, but sound positive about changes and the ultimate outcome. Let them know "We're all in this together! :)"
- Brainstorm as a family some ways to save $$ around the house. Use this time as a reminder to turn off lights, unplug items not in use (energy is still being used when plugged in), turn off water faucet when brushing teeth, etc.
- Talk about how everyone is going to be making a few sacrifices to save $$. Give a couple examples of sacrifices that you are willing to make (giving up coffees, color your own hair), and let everyone come up with a few ideas of things they could give up/cut back on. Talk about how everyone has to work together to reach the family goals. Add up what these savings would be each month, and get excited!!
- Let kids know if they want something they can either: 1) put it on a future gift list, 2) think of a low-cost version of the same thing, or 3) come up with a way to earn the $ themselves! Remind them of what is a Need vs. what is a Want, and let them know that they might not get everything they want & that's ok.
- Have a list of fun, free family events that you could do together (we just went to a free kids Fall Fest and had a great time), and vote on something to do each week! Just because you're on a budget doesn't mean there can't be amazing family fun!!!
- Discuss where monthly family savings will be used. Maybe the extra $$ will go toward paying bills, saving for a new couch, or a family vacation! Kids feel excited to know they are saving for a goal. You could even create a chart to color in the money saved until the goal is reached!
- Have family meetings once a month to do an update on things!
I'd like to add that even if there are no kids at home, you can still meet as a couple and have this discussion! :)
I hope this will get you started on your own Family Meeting!
Have a blessed day, and tomorrow for "Creating a Welcoming Home Thursday" I'll give you my plans for a dinner party we're having Sat. night! It'll be a fun twist on things!!