Saturday, February 7, 2009

I *heart* The Birthday Girl!!!

I can't believe that my Sweet Girl is going to be 8 years old tomorrow!

Time sure does fly by! I remember when she, our firstborn, came into this world all of the older couples we knew said, "Don't blink...They grow up so fast...Before you know it, she'll be all grown up and you'll wonder where the time went...Enjoy this precious time...".

At the time, with a colicky baby, I just knew that they were wrong! "Yeah," I thought, "time really flies by when she's been screaming for 5 hours. Uh, huh...no sleep, millions of stinky diapers, and I quit a 30 hour a week job for one that goes 24/7!" The kind words were honestly lost on me!

And even though there is a ways to go before Sweet Girl is all grown up and leaves our little nest for one of her own, it seems that I am now glimpsing what those sweet older folks already knew. That time with our children is SO precious. That every birthday becomes bittersweet...filled with memories of what was, and dreams of what will be!

I can't hold onto her newborn swaddled body, nor can I capture her belly laugh in a bottle. I wish that I could keep her toothless grin, and her sing-songs with Elmo. I would wrap them up in the prettiest box and tie them with a beautiful bow. That's partly how I feel. But I can't do that. Oh, sure, those memories are documented in countless photos, and are part of my motherly heart. But if I hold too tightly to my Sweet Girl, I won't be letting her bloom and change and grow into the 8 year old young girl she's meant to be.

And even if I get sentimental for her sweet past, and excited for the days ahead :), my main desire as a mother this year is to follow the advise of parents before me. To soak up and ENJOY all of who Sweet Girl is TODAY. Because today is the day that God gave me to hug her, and kiss her beautiful dimples, and tell her, "I love you"!!!


Take the time today to enjoy your family and friends!!!

{The pictures above are of one of Sweet Girl's birthday presents :)!
Shhhh! It's a surprise!!
I appliqued cute little hearts onto a long-sleeved white t-shirt and jeans.
Coordinating ribbons for her ponytail holder and socks, and this Southern girl has a sassy new outfit (for not much moolah)!!}

26 comments:

SoBella Creations said...

Time does pass by too quickly. My baby will be three this April. And my oldest in is kindergarten. It makes me sad.

southerninspiration said...

Oh, what an adorable outfit. I know you will take lots of pics! I love them at eight...they still think you hung the moon, and still talk to you. May her b'day be blessed. My oldest just turned 27...yes, that time has def. flown by. Enjoy the moments!

Suzanne

Heather said...

Hope she has a wonderful birthday! Time really does go by to quickly, but I don't think you realize that until you have children.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Very cute outfit...she will love it!
Happy Birthday to your gal!
-sandy toe

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. That outfit is adorable. You are so creative!

Betsy said...

Adorable outfit...she is going to have a wonderful birthday.

maryanne420 said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. Hope you all have a blessed day. I also wanted to say great job on your sunroom. It is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Yes time does pass quickly, my baby girl is 25! Happy Birthday to your precious girl!!

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Stacey said...

You are exactly right about our babies!! They grow up very quickly. I miss the Pooh bear days but we are enjoying the teenager days.

The sassy outfit is adorable!

sweet momma luv u said...

Oh how the time does fly bye. I t makes me sad too! There is so much to be thankful for though. Our little girl is 9 1/2. We are waiting for our next one hopefully comiing from China.

The outfit is just adorable! Love the pink hearts. She will love it!!

Happy Birthday sweet girl!

Jo said...

What an adorable outfit! I'm sure she will love it on her special day.

Jo

Lynda said...

Those are the CUTIST little touches you added to her outfit!! How udderbly adorable! You must post a picture of her actually wearing it!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

My baby just turned 7 on Thursday--I can't believe how fast time has gone. Tell her happy birthday!

Margo said...

Yep it goes fast. My Sweet Boy turned 23 today. Can you believe I have a 23 yr old son. When I was his age, I had a 2 yr old. He's taking life a bit slower than me thank goodness, and he still likes hanging with his parents, to a point.
We met the girlfriend last night. This one is serious. Hang onto this stage of life, it changes before you can blink.
Margo

Glitter & Bliss said...

Time flies... Happy BD to your little one.

Kristen said...

That outfit looks great! I'm sure she will love it. I know my parents are going through the same thing right now--my younger brother (their youngest child) is turning 20 this week. I'm tucking away this advice for when I have children of my own in a couple years.

{darlene} said...

Oh Stacey, you made me cry with these words: "I would wrap them up in the prettiest box and tie them with a beautiful bow." What a lovely mother's heart-thought...
it goes by in an absolute blink!! They are such precious gifts!

I LOVE the bday gift. You rock!

Darlene

Shannon said...

She is going to look darling tomorrow! Happy birthday!

duchess said...

Cute outfit & I have an 8 yr old sweet girl myself. I'm sure they'd have a wonderful time playing barbies and American Girl dolls together.
When you figure out how to freeze time let me know.

amy & lisa said...

I know exactly how you feel. My kids are 22 and 26 and on their own. I miss them so much everyday. So many times I think if only they could still be little kids living at home, but I know it is good for them to move on, to begin their own lives. I just have to adjust! :)

Happy Birthday to your special girl.

Unknown said...

You're right the time flies by, my "baby" will be 7 this week. Love the gifts!

Christine said...

Time goes by way to fast! That's why I say hold on tight and have fun! The outfit is adorable!

Angie said...

It is mindblowing how quickly the years fly by sometimes. I hope she loves her new outfit..it's adorable!

Liz Harrell said...

That outfit is PRECIOUS Stacey!

Brenda said...

adorable and fun! Happy Birthday to a sweet girl!

Our Complete Family said...

What a darling outfit!
You did a great job on it!
Happy bday to your little princess!
Les